“To lead as many as possible to passionately follow Jesus.”
Our Five Core Practices
When we summarize how Scripture describes a disciple of Jesus, we could say that a disciple is: one who is learning from Jesus to know the Father’s voice, follow in obedience, and teach others to do the same by the power of the Spirit.
We then rightly ask the question, “How does this happen?”
Scripture and followers of Christ across the centuries point to a number of spiritual practices that help nurture the heart, will, and mind on this pathway of discipleship. At Southview, we point to five of these as “Core Practices”:
- WORD: Reading, studying, reflecting on and memorizing Scripture – the Word of God – to be guided and molded by it.
- PRAY: Talking and listening to God about the things on His heart and your heart.
- MEET: Intentionally sharing and doing life together – Life on Life – with other followers of Christ for mutual support, challenge and encouragement.
- SERVE: Using the passions and gifts given to you by the Holy Spirit to honour God and express His Kingdom in tangible ways.
- TELL: Sharing the Good News of Christ with others in word and action.
This is what Southview is about. It’s not a complete picture, but it reminds us of the heart of our gatherings, ministries and life as a church family.
Southview is part of the Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada, which gives us the opportunity to partner with amazing churches and followers of Christ across the globe.